We all know it’s really important to make sure your front door is super secure because sometimes bad people try to get inside. Most folks agree that the best way to do this is to ask a local locksmith in Gastonia to put strong, good locks on your door. But not many people know that even the mailbox on your front door can cause security problems.
So, what’s letterbox burglary? Well, it’s when a bad person uses your mailbox to break into your home or steal your car keys. They might reach their hand through the mailbox to try and unlock the door or use a special gadget with a hook to grab your keys. These tricks can work really well, and they don’t even need to know how to pick locks.
Here’s how to stop letterbox burglary:
- Don’t leave your keys where they can be seen. Especially if your front door has see-through parts. Even if your door is solid, check what’s visible through the mailbox from the outside. Move keys or wallets out of sight.
- Get a mailbox with a brushy thing around it. Those soft bristles help keep your home warm and stop bad people from seeing inside.
- Buy an anti-burglar mailbox. These mailboxes are tested really hard to make sure they’re super safe.
- Put in a letterbox restrictor. It’s easy to install and stops the mailbox flap from opening too much. This makes it hard for hands or gadgets to get inside.
- If you can, take out the mailbox and put an outside mailbox somewhere. This can be expensive, but it’s an option if you’re getting a new front door.
Remember, bad people are always trying to find new ways to get inside your home. So, it’s really important to keep your home safe and not let them use sneaky tricks.